







Moving, even with a car-full of stuff, forces you to start over in so many ways, especially for someone like me who lovesloves things. Lia & I have discovered the overwhelming treasure trove & daunting experience that is the bins, goodwill’s enormous outlet store. At the bins, any assortment of things you would want are all brought out in huge troughs for you to sift through at your leisure & when new ones are brought out, people scramble & fight over desirable objects—I saw two grown men playing tug-o-war with either end of a 1960s glass cluster-of-grapes lamp. These are some of my finds, mostly from the bins but a few things from estate sales also.

4 comments:
Hooray for the bins! I'm glad you are digging in here and I'm so glad you are here to enjoy the end of Summer... Welcome. - transcribe
Such lovely things, I always was jealous your vanity and want one of my own. I wish we had something like the bins in Chicago- we barely have flea markets- but I can do quite a bit of thrift-hunting.
jill- thanks so much for the welcome! are you still working at whole foods?? sorry, i don't keep up with my livejournal very well these days. you're still bee-keeping, i hope?
sarah-- you'd be surprised how many vanities are just lying around yard sales in portland. so, we might have the bins, but one of my best friends from chicago swears that thrifting there is better than anywhere else in the world.
I am now at a winery - a dream job really. I'm over the moon about it.
Where did you settle? Are you enjoying the town so far? Finding the vintage shops it sounds like. It also sound like you've stopped by Ray's at some point. Isn't it kind of depressing? He's nice, but all of the good stiff is up so high and they aren't always helpful.
A nice place for malteds or lunch is the Blue Plate Cafe in SW. Yum!
Post a Comment